The Electoral Commission has agreed the new local government electoral arrangements for Wiltshire, following recommendations by the Boundary Committee for England. The new county electoral divisions will come into force at the 2009 local Government elections on 4 June 2009.
Wiltshire becomes a unitary authority on 1 April 2009. The new unitary authority replaces the existing district & county councils and takes on responsibility for the provision of local government services in Wiltshire.
The Electoral Commission directed the Boundary Committee to recommend appropriate electoral arrangements for the new unitary authority of Wiltshire, and to ensure electoral equality in other words, that the number of electors represented by each councillor is approximately the same.
Following representations made to the Electoral Commission, the Boundary Committees recommendations were implemented with minor modifications.
The orders were made on 6 March 2009, and will be published on the Office of Public Sector Information website (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si-2009-index).
To see the new county electoral division boundaries, maps are available on the Electoral Commission website: http://www.lgbce.org.uk/all-reviews/south-west/wiltshire/wiltshire-unitary-authority-ua
For further information contact the Press Office:
9am-6pm weekdays: 020 7271 0704
outside office hours: 07789 920414
Notes to editors:
1. The Electoral Commission is an independent body set up by the UK Parliament. Our aim is integrity and public confidence in the UKs democratic process. We regulate party and election finance and set standards for well-run elections.
2. The Boundary Committee for England (BCFE) is a statutory committee of the Electoral Commission.
3. After the BCFE published their final recommendations, the public had 8 weeks during which to put representations to the Commission about those recommendations. That period ended on 9 January.
4. Having analysed the representations, the Commission suggested the following modifications to the BCFEs final recommendations which the BCFE agreed to.
· Boundaries of county electoral divisions to be slightly altered in 17 places to follow new parish boundaries established by the North Wiltshire (Parishes) Order 2008
· The parish ward of Warminster Copheap and Wylye to be renamed Warminster Copheap
· Corsham Pickwick and Rudloe ED to be renamed Corsham Pickwick